Wednesday, March 2, 2011

DFW Airport - Dallas, Fort Worth Texas


The beginning of a long and wonderful trip to the bottom of the earth.  Literally!! We were on our way to Antarctica.  This trip was a little overwhelming. I kept thinking of all the potential dangers, the incredible things we would see and do and of course gluten.  I did do some planning ahead though.  The first was checking in on the airport during our first leg.  There is a great website for DFW and you can see where you plane is likely to come in, leave from and which restaurants are around.  It has an interactive map and a list of restaurants.  There were many options for gluten free. I would starve if stuck here for a few days.  Here are a few:

CHILI'S TOO
     Chili's has a gluten free list of foods and depending where you are a GF menu.  I have found time and time again that the Chili's too airport restaurants either do not have the GF menus, their regular menu is very abbreviated and/or the GF manager lists are often out of date.  So, be sure to ask lots of questions.

AU BON PAIN
     This was going to be my back up plan but they were closed when we got there at 7:30 pm.  I will say, I had incredible luck with this deli at the Orlando Airport in 3/10.  The servers did not really know about gluten but they had a computerized kiosk that did.  You could just pick what you wanted and it would give you a detailed ingredient and allergy list.  I had a great, healthy and filling meal.

RED MANGO YOGURT
     I have not eaten here but I did notice when I was at the Newark Airport that they advertised they were certified GF.  Ice cream makes everything better!

UNO DUE GO
     This is a take off on Pizzeria Uno.  Again haven't eaten there but I know that most Pizzeria Uno's now offer GF crust.  It's worth asking.

There are also a few upscale restaurants including at the attached GRAND HYATT.  They are usually very gluten friendly and often have GF bread and pasta if you ask for it.

I decided to go for COOL RIVER CAFE in the international terminal.  A short train ride from our Austin connection and we were there.  I had eaten at the Austin restaurant once before when I was first diagnosed and they were helpful in answering my questions.  Plus, it's a steak house.  Overall, there are often GF options.



I had the flat iron steak with sauteed mushrooms and onions and a side of mashed potatoes.  I confirmed that all were gluten free ahead of time.  It was quite good.  There were 2 strange things though.  #1 - My steak was cut into strips.  Still tasted good.  #2 - The silverware was all plastic.  Maybe that's why my steak was cut up.  I was happy with my choice and my good, solid meal before our next flight.  That was until I tried my companion's filet mignon. (Also confirmed GF though she is not)  HOLY COW!  It melted in my mouth, requiring little if any chewing on my part.  So good!

Topped dinner off with a bag of plain M&Ms and headed for Santiago, Chile...

No comments:

Post a Comment