Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Beginning

I was diagnosed with celiac about four and a half years ago.  I had been sick for over 11 years.  My diagnosis came, finally, while living temporarily in Austin, TX.  Oh drat!  No more flour tortillas!  No more beer!  About 2 weeks after my diagnosis I was sent to Greenville, Maine.  I was living in a small building next to the small hospital.  The only kitchen was a fridge and a microwave. It was mud season so all of the restaurants were closed.  The only places to get ANY food were a bar (gin is gluten free!!), the hospital cafeteria or the grocery store, which was the size of a 7-Eleven.

Downtown Greenville


Everyone at the hospital was very helpful.  They had had a patient living in the nursing home a few years prior with celiac.  So, they were knowledgeable about what was safe in the cafeteria.  Unfortunately, that wasn't a lot.  I mostly lived on Jif Peanut Butter in spoonfuls, grapes, and apples at first.
On weekends,  I would drive three hours down to Portland, ME to hit up Wild Oats grocery store for some food.  At that time, it was still very difficult to find anything gluten free.  Plus, I was not very savvy yet either. I would stock up on San-J Sesame Crackers to eat with my peanut butter and Amy's Frozen Mexican Casseroles.  Thank whoever is in charge for Amy's!!!!  They only had one thing gluten-free there at that time but it said "gluten-free" right there on it.  I ate one daily!



From Greenville,  I moved back to San Francisco.  Yay!  All the great restaurants, all my favorite foods, sour dough bread!  CRAP!!  I had to relearn it all.  Thankfully, San Francisco has a huge variety of restaurants, grocery stores and a lot of very helpful chefs. I had wonderful gluten free meals at Tangerine, Chow, One Market, The Boulevard and a serious amount of Scharffen-Burger Chocolate.  I would eat cheese and sesame crackers with some 2 Buck Chuck red wine from Trader Joe's for appetizer nightly while staring out over the bay.  I figured out what was safe at Starbuck's.  I was getting the hang of this.  (I will post more on San Francisco later as I just came back from a trip and have updated info).

Six months later and back to Austin, TX which is where I currently live.

Since my diagnosis I have lived in a few cities and have visited many more.  I look forward to sharing my experiences and helping  find new places with great tasting gluten free food!

1 comment:

  1. Are you still living in Austin? I'm glad to have found your blog. I'm keeping a tally of all the gluten-free area blogs. It is great that more and more are popping up, and helping raise awareness for Celiac Disease. You are number 11 :)

    Jess @ ATX Gluten-Free

    ReplyDelete