Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Boothbay Harbor, ME

Boothbay is such a wonderful place.  It is like turning back time.  It is full of lobsters with butter on the ocean at sunset, sea kayaking, combing the beach for sea glass and basically just a slower, less complicated life.   Thankfully, it is also somewhat accommodating to the GF life.  It gets better every time I am there.  On my first trip, years ago, there was very little gluten free.  At that time, I would send 365 bread mix ahead and be sure to get a cabin with a kitchen so I could back up a few loaves.  Toast and yogurt for breakfast, PB&J for lunch and lobster for dinner.  Not bad.  I also always pick up some GF ice cream cones on the way (Portland Whole Foods) so I could have soft serve ice cream (safe every time I have checked) at the East Boothbay General Store.  They are always happy to check ingredients for me as well as make one of there great sandwiches on my GF bread (I just bring my Udi's with me in a Ziploc).

This trip was very successful, celiac speaking.

After a late night of travel, shopping and dinner in Freeport we stopped at the Hannaford (say it with a Maine accent) for a few more supplies.  I had a plan for GF chocolate chip birthday pie in the morning.  For a small town (I'm talking one traffic light) grocery store, Hannaford has a nice little gluten free section.
pasta and crackers and flour, oh my!


Next stop, bed.

We stayed at the Tugboat Inn in the crow's nest.  It was perfect.  It had a full kitchen with a full size oven.  Perfect for my gluten free baking.  Not to mention the incredible views from the deck.

Boothbay Harbor

After a sound nights sleep, it was time for some breakfast!!  After a few morning mimosas we wandered down to the Blue Moon Cafe.  I have been here numerous times over many visits to Boothbay.  The same gentleman is always behind the counter and always willing to answer all my questions.  I always get about the same thing.  Omelet with veggies and cheese, potatoes and coffee.  The cheese and potato spices are all safe.  I confirm on each trip.

For lunch we had plans to meet family for a birthday lunch.  While waiting outside I saw the local popcorn stand that just moved to the center of town (http://www.coastalmainepopcorn.com/).  I told my companion that I didn't feel like asking all  the gluten questions but wanted to just LOOK at the popcorn.  Maybe we could go back later and ask.  I just didn't have the energy.  Turns out...I didn't have to!


They had all the gluten free flavors right there! On the board. No asking.  The woman behind the counter was lovely and gracious and gave me multiple samples.  Yum!!

Alas, I could not have popcorn for lunch ... on to Jordan's.

Jordan's does not have a dedicated GF menu but the staff is very helpful and patient.  I have also eaten here a few times throughout the year.  They have been consistent with their service, great food and helpfulness with all my questions and requests.

We went up to Rockland, ME for dinner.  Wow!!  More on that to come.

Though I did not get there this trip, I also must note 93 Townsend as a dining option.  They are probably the most upscale restaurant in Boothbay Harbor.  Though they also do not have a gluten free menu, the former chef is celiac.  So, they are used to getting celiac customers and are helpful in finding safe options.  Plus, they have a crazy martini menu!

Next trip I plan on trying the Chinese restaurant.  I know... soy sauce.  I have been told by an employee/family member that they are happy to cater to gluten free and do so often.  No time on this trip but definitely on the the list for next.

No comments:

Post a Comment