Friday, November 5, 2010

Brunswick, Maine

I did a little gluten free google before going to Maine this trip.  I know we would be driving around a little more than usual and wanted to see what I could find.  So, on our way out of Boothbay, I insisted an a quick stop in Brunswick.  I wanted to check out the claims of gluten free whoopie pie.  Whoopie pie as a Maine tradition, one I dearly missed.

We stopped at Wildfour Bakery.



 I was dumbfounded.  There was SO much there and everything gluten free.  Some things I have never even seen or heard of before.  It was a gluten free smorgasborg.






I tried to use some restraint.  I failed.  Okay, maybe not failed but certainly got more than necessary for a 2 hour car trip.  Here's what I found.

First, I was starving so, I started with a sandwich.  They make there own bread.  It was not fabulous, but good, it satisfied my empty belly.


Then on to the good part.  Cupcakes and whoopie pies and twinkies, oh my!  

Lemon cupcake with cream cheese frosting.

The cupcake was very good, not a very strong lemon flavor but delicious.

GF vs the real thing.


WHOOPIE PIE!!!

Isn't it beautiful?  Unfortunately, this beautiful creation had garbanzo bean flour in it.  Darn it!  I can't not stand that taste! It was a good try though.  The center was sinfully sweet and yummy.  If you can take the garbanzo bean flour this would be excellent.  

GF Twinkie!
Finally, my GF twinkie.  It really was wonderful.  Now, I realize that this is just a vanilla cupcake in a different shape but it is fun, fun, fun.  It was very tasty.    It tasted much like King Authur's vanilla cake mix.  Worth the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment