Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Coolhaus - Austin


I have been chasing the Coolhaus truck for months!!  Maybe even since Thanksgiving.  I did track down one of the trucks about 5 weeks ago and, boo hoo, they didn't have any gluten free cookies that day.  Last week, while driving home from dinner in South Austin, I realized it had been literally just next door to where I had dinner (at Red's Porch).  I had already fought my way north on I-35 to central Austin.  Errr!  Elusive ice cream sandwich!  Well, today I made it.  Success!!!!
I had a rare day off today and located the truck down south again, just next to Red's Porch.  I was prepared for the possibility that they might again not have any GF cookies but it was just a matter of meeting a challenge at this point.  I had to give it a try.  Goal number one?  Check!  I found it just where it was supposed to be.

Goal number two?  Woohoo!  They had GF cookies.  My S.O. quickly asked "What about the ice cream.  Are they all gluten free?"  The answer made me want to laugh and cry a little: "Only the blood orange sorbet."  Gross!  Blood orange sorbet with a chocolate chip cookie?  NOT what I was looking for.  My S.O. was determined to fix it and asked "What about the vanilla?" The nice, young girl in the truck suddenly changed her tune stating that the sorbet was the only vegan flavor.  Just to be sure, she quickly texted her boss and confirmed that ALL the ice cream flavors were gluten free.  Thanks.
Now I had some hard choices to make.


They have lots of ice cream flavors to choose from but I felt only a few would really go with a chocolate chip cookie.  (Chocolate chip is the only GF cookie flavor.)  I went with traditional vanilla ice cream.  The cookie was a little hard and dry but still tasted pretty good.  I really can't complain about it because, hey, I was eating a GF ice cream sandwich. Plus, my S.O. had a glutenous one and it was so soft that it quickly fell apart.  My cookie did have just a touch of garbanzo bean flour in it which I don't care for much but not enough that I wouldn't eat it again.  There were a few actual chips in it, which I think works because I could easily try the other ice cream flavors in it.  I was also pleasantly surprised that it smushed down like an ice cream sandwich should.  I had to lick the sides.  It was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment