Saturday, April 2, 2011

Taverna - Austin

I have seen Taverna many times on my drive home from work but never really gave it a second thought.  It just became part of the scenery.  So, when I was downtown to see Devo at the new Moody Theater last week, it was not on the top of the list for dinner.  After parking we headed to 219 West since we had had luck there before and they have a diverse menu.  No go: closed Sundays for dinner.  We walked around a few blocks and finally ended up right back where we started, in front of Taverna.  My original thought was "Italian?  No way I can find something gluten free there."

 Then I noticed the sign outside...



We had to try it!

Not only were they gluten-friendly but they had a full gluten-free menu.  It was quite extensive with lots of options.  The waiter was also quite knowledgeable about gluten and what he didn't know he had no qualms about asking the chef. 

I started with a very small but tasty caprese salad. (I was starving so it was pretty much gone before I remembered to take a picture.)  For dinner I had the special: a pork tenderloin with asparagus and Yukon potatoes.




It was huge, enough for 2 people easily, and it was very good.  Perfectly cooked; very flavorful; nice combination of spices.  I have read many reviews on Taverna since, with many poor ones showing up.  That was definitely not my experience.  My food was great, the staff was helpful and prompt and the atmosphere was comfortable and relaxed.   Unfortunately, I did not get to take a look at the dessert menu as I didn't want to miss The Octopus Project, the opening band.  I look forward to going back here to check it out though. 

Final opinion: Thumbs up!  I'll go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment