Sunday, April 10, 2011

Steeping Room - Austin

This is a favorite of mine.  The Steeping Room is a sweet, little tea room/cafe in the Domain.  I am always happy after a visit.  It is extremely flavorful, healthy feeling, and gluten friendly.  I have never had a bad experience in my numerous visits. 

I always start with tea.  They have a large tea menu with options for everyone.  Iced, hot, decaf, red, white, black and blue.  Okay, maybe not blue.  They are always yummy.

This day I tried a hot, decaf rooibos: Golden pear.  It was just right.

These pictures are actually from my SECOND visit this week.  I accidentally erased all the pics from my first visit.  I was a little upset at first but, then I realized that that means I needed to go back and eat more.  I mean take more pictures.  My return-visit meal choice was not as awe-inspiring as the first time but just as tasty.

Both visits had been for lunch.  Their food menu is great because it notes right on the regular menu what is gluten free.  I like it so much more when you can just read a menu and see what is safe rather than have a list of what is safe and then have to compare it to the "real" menu.  Also, the servers all know what is safe and what isn't, usually right off the top of their heads.  They have many options for gluten free, not only salad but great soups, grains and even sandwiches.  All of there sandwiches can be made with their rice bread.  It is not the best bread ever but it is good and works very well as a vehicle for all the tasty sandwich innards.

Earlier this week I had a Buddha bowl for lunch.  This is: the grain of the day, bean of the day, green of the day, protein choice, roasted sweet potato and sauce choice.  All of their sauces are gluten free and delicious.  That day I had black rice, Japanese red beans, kale and chicken breast with peanut sauce.  Yum!!!


On the second visit I went a little lighter.  Soup and salad.  Not just any soup and salad, though.  They had my favorite soup: tomato coconut.  I paired this with a huge and wonderful Rustica salad with musclun greens, arugula, toasted hazelnuts, cranberries, fennel and goat cheese.  For a salad - amazing. My aunt actually got the exact same thing.  The portion was huge but that didn't stop me from eating every bite, or from ordering dessert.

Speaking of dessert....

I can not even go near the Domain without stopping at the steeping room for a gluten free Carrot Cake Cupcake.  Moist and not too sweet;  the cream cheese frosting is the best I have ever had.  I am constantly trying to replicate it in my own kitchen.


I often order a few to take home with me.  The combination of this cupcake and a cup of warm tea is perfection.  If carrot cake is not for you, they have many other gluten free desserts including a bunch that are made daily and not on the menu.  I honestly haven't ever tried anything else because I am addicted to the carrot cake.  One day, maybe I will stray.  Or maybe I need to get TWO desserts.  I'll work on that.

Also of note, If you take a look at the menu you will notice many vegan foods as well.  I don't really pay attention to this detail anymore but I know many do.

Steeping Room is a wonder and a joy for the Celiac community.  They are a model of how every restaurant should be.  They make it a pleasure and just plain easy to be gluten free while still enjoying a fabulous, relaxing meal out with friends and loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment